The Beginnings of the Turning Point Open Bible church go back to April 15, 1934, when Rev. W.E. Menold founded the Revival Center Tabernacle at 411 W. Indiana in Spokane, WA. Rev. Menold’s dream was to have a place where continuous evangelistic services could be held six nights a week, with three services on Sunday – and that’s exactly what they did for many years.
A new era began when Rev. Crawford Jones, an Open Bible minister, became the pastor in 1949. Under his leadership the building was remodeled, the church officially affiliated with Open Bible Standard Churches, and was renamed “The First Church of the Open Bible”.
In 1964, Rev. Norman LeLaCheur, his wife Norma, and their four children came to Spokane to pastor the church. During his 29 years of leadership the church continued to prosper and grow.
In 1979, the church broke ground for a new building at 8303 N. Division Street and the first service was held in the new building in 1981. Throughout the years, many new ministries were developed and countless lives were touched with the love of Jesus Christ.
In 1993, Pastor Norm’s son, Monte, who had served as his assistant, was elected the new senior pastor. Pastor Monte is a graduate of Open Bible College in Des Moines, Iowa, and also has a master’s degree in counseling from Whitworth College here in Spokane. Monte and his wife, Amy Jo, have two children.
What’s happening now?
In July of 2009, the church moved into their new facility at 11911 N. Division and became “Turning Point Open Bible Church”. This beautiful building allows us to blend the latest technologies with our long history of ministering to people here in the Spokane area. The building and methods have changed over the years, but our mission as a church remains the same … to help individuals and families come into relationship with God.